2018 Bible-inspired Creative Writing Contest Guidelines
**Please read Contest Guidelines carefully as submissions that do not conform to all guidelines will be disqualified.The organizer reserves all forms of copyright of the winning entries and may adapt and publish them without prior notification to winners. The organizer reserves the right to interpret and revise all rules and regulations without prior notification. The organizer has the right to request supporting evidence from winners as proof of identity. The organizer owns the copyright of the winning entries, and permission must be sought in writing from the organizer should the winners want to publish their winning pieces in other publications.
The objectives of this contest are to introduce the cultural significance of the English Bible, its application in modern day English language and to promote the inter-disciplinary study of Biblical literature and English literature
1. Entries must be submitted electronically.
-All writing submissions should meet the following formatting guidelines:
-Must be typed using font size 12 point type, double-spaced.
-A cover page must appear as the first page of the document. The cover page much include the author's name, home address, a valid e-mail -address, phone number, HKID number, name of school/institution and title of entry.
-The upper right corner of each page of the entry must include TITLE OF ENTRY and PAGE NUMBER.
-With the exception of the cover page, the author's name should not appear anywhere on the entry itself.
-Attachments must be submitted as Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) only.
2. Language required: English
3. Maximum length:
Theme: The theme for 2018 is Peace and Reconciliation
Use biblical stories, idioms or phrases listed in our website http://www.selbl.org as your source of inspiration to produce a piece of creative writing, which can be poetry, prose, short story, etc.
5. Entries should be submitted to
6. Deadline for submission is 30 April 2018.
- The judges are professionals in the field of creative writing and biblical literature. The decisions of the judges are final.
Prof. David Jasper, Former Professor in Literature and Theology, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
Mr Kevin Wong, Adjunct Lecturer and Research Associate, New York University
Mrs Julia Wan, Part-time lecturer, Department of English Language and Literature, HKBU
Dr Anne Ma, Former Senior Lecturer, Department of English, Hong Kong Institute of Education
Dr Jenny Wong, Former Assistant Professor, Beijing Normal University-Hong Kong Baptist University, United International College
· Grammatical Accuracy
· Naturalness in the use of Biblical idioms and phrases
· Theological depth
Prizes for Secondary School:
- Champion : HK$2,000 Cash Prize, HK$500 Book Coupon from Religious Education Resource Centre (RERC), a Bilingual Bible
- First runner up: HK$1,000 Cash Prize, HK$300 Book Coupon from Religious Education Resource Centre (RERC), a Bilingual Bible
- Second runner up: HK$800 Cash Prize, HK$200 Book Coupon from Religious Education Resource Centre (RERC), a Bilingual Bible
- Meritorious award: HK$500 Cash Prize, HK$100 Book Coupon from Religious Education Resource Centre (RERC), a Bilingual Bible
In addition, the secondary school from which the champion comes will receive 20 ACE course student books plus 1 ACE course teacher book.
Society for English Learning through Biblical Literature (SELBL) assumes no responsibility for lost, misdirected or stolen entries. SELBL reserves the right to edit for spelling and grammatical errors. Entries will be screened for proper submission procedures and will be rejected if they do not meet the general eligibility or the specific entry requirements.
Click here to download poster